Beets are a highly nutritious vegetable that's easy to grow. Start planting in October and continue in three week intervals through February. Good varieties to try in the home garden are 'Early Wonder', 'Detroit Dark Red,' 'Cylindra,' 'Red Ace,' 'Little Ball,' 'Asgrow Wonder,' 'Green Top,' 'Pacemaker III,' and 'Red Ace.' Beets like well-drained, loose, and slightly acidic soil.
Also on Gardening in a Minute
Courtesy of Purdue
- UF/IFAS Extension: Lawn & Garden
- Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program
- Florida Master Gardener Program
- "The Neighborhood Gardener" e-newsletter
Vegetable Gardening FAQ
- Got questions? Get answers to some of the most frequently-asked questions about growing vegetables in Florida.