Master Gardener Annual Report
In 2020, more than 4,500 Florida Master Gardener Volunteers donated more than 150,000 hours of their time.
Florida Master Gardener Volunteers (MGVs) assist UF/IFAS Extension agents by providing research-based, horticultural education to Florida residents. In 2020, in the midst of a global pandemic, more than 4,500 volunteers gave 156,814 hours of their time in 58 Florida counties. This equates to nearly $5 million provided to Florida's economy.
Master Gardener Volunteers typically assist in a variety of projects, including:
- Answering questions at plant help desks
- Giving landscaping and gardening workshops at public libraries
- Building demonstration gardens
- Assisting with community gardens
- Teaching youth and school gardens
In 2020, MGVs served nearly 200,000 Florida citizens through digital plant clinics, virtual events, and online presentations.
UF/IFAS Extension Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Program 2020 Annual Report
The UF/IFAS Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Program is a citizen-driven program that benefits UF/IFAS Extension and Floridians. The program relies on dedicated Master Gardener Volunteers (MGVs) who have a passion for to serve as horticulture educators in their communities.
- There are 4,564 Master Gardener Volunteers in 58 of Florida’s 67 counties.
- Counties provided online training to 657 new Master Gardener Volunteers during the pandemic.
- Master Gardener Volunteers served 189,486 clientele through digital plant clinics, virtuals events, and online presentations.
- In 2020, volunteers received 60,844 hours in continuing education. Each volunteer receives a minimum of ten hours of continued education annually.
- 156,814 hours of time were volunteered in 2020. Active MGVs donate an average of 100 or more volunteer hours each year. This was less during the pandemic but they still were able to serve in different ways.
- With nearly 400 pages, the Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Program website received over 100,000 visits. The top pages were: the webinar listings, the events calendar, and information on how to become an MGV.
- In 2020, the estimated value of a volunteer hour in Florida was $26.32. The Master Gardener Volunteers donated $4.987,271 worth of time to the citizens of Florida.