Master Gardener Annual Report
In 2021, more than 4,000 Florida Master Gardener Volunteers donated close to 200,000 hours of their time.
Florida Master Gardener Volunteers (MGVs) assist UF/IFAS Extension agents by providing research-based, horticultural education to Florida residents. In 2021, in the midst of an ongoing global pandemic, 4,101 volunteers gave 194,666 hours of their time in 58 Florida counties. This equates to more than $5.5 million provided to Florida's economy.
Master Gardener Volunteers typically assist in a variety of projects, including:
- Answering questions at plant help desks
- Giving landscaping and gardening workshops at public libraries
- Building demonstration gardens
- Assisting with community gardens
- Teaching youth and school gardens
In 2021, MGVs served 238,000 Florida citizens through digital plant clinics, virtual events, and online presentations.
UF/IFAS Extension Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Program 2021 Annual Report
The UF/IFAS Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Program is a citizen-driven program that benefits UF/IFAS Extension and Floridians. The program relies on dedicated Master Gardener Volunteers (MGVs) who have a passion for gardening to serve as horticulture educators in their communities.
- There are 4,101 Master Gardener Volunteers in 58 of Florida’s 67 counties.
- Counties provided online training to 611 new Master Gardener Volunteers in 2021.
- Master Gardener Volunteers served 211,275 clientele through digital plant clinics, virtual events, and online presentations.
- In 2021, volunteers received 40,000 hours in continuing education. Each volunteer receives a minimum of ten hours of continued education annually.
- 194,666 hours of time were volunteered in 2021. Active MGVs donate an average of 100 or more volunteer hours each year. This was less during the pandemic but they still were able to serve in different ways.
- With nearly 400 pages, the Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Program website received 238,000 visits. The top pages were: the webinar listings, the events calendar, and information on how to become an MGV.
- In 2021, the estimated value of a volunteer hour in Florida was $28.54. The Master Gardener Volunteers donated $5,555,767 worth of time to the citizens of Florida.