Master Gardeners participate in a number of activities, sometimes acting as teachers and other times as students.
Webinars provide a convenient and free professional development option for people who want to learn new strategies and tools without taking time off work and paying travel expenses. Each hour-long session will be recorded and available on our website to view whenever you'd like.
Plant Identification and Judging Competition
Each year during the Florida Master Gardener conference, teams of Master Gardeners from different counties compete against each other in the 4-H plant identification and judging competition. The teams must successfully identify a number of different plant samples, as well judge specific plant specimens on their appearance and vigor.
The winning county receives a plaque and their county name is added to the Dean's Award plaque, which is posted in McCarty Hall.
Participants benefit from the added plant knowledge and can help prepare youth to participate in competitions that take place at the 4-H Congress and at other times throughout the state.
- Flowers and Foliage Plants List (PDF)
- Fruits and Nuts List (PDF)
- Ornamentals List (PDF)
- Vegetables List (PDF)
- Judging contest form (PDF)
Images and information on 200 vegetables, fruits, flowers and landscape plants are included. Use the handy self-test option to judge your progress.
Extension Specialist Updates
UF/IFAS specialist updates share the latest information and research findings. These presentations require the free Windows Media Player.
- NEW POWERPOINT: Education and Media Coordinator Emily Eubanks shares tips about how to use it most effectively in this PowerPoint presentation, "Email Etiquette."
- Join Dr. William Crow for this update on nematodes in the landscape and what you can do about them.
- Dr. Michael Dukes discusses the latest irrigation technologies in "Smart Irrigation: Making Every Drop Count."
- Previously featured specialist updates
- Catalog listing of the most recent updates