Master Gardener Webinars
Webinars provide a convenient and free professional development option for people who want to learn new strategies and tools without taking time off work and paying travel expenses. Each hour-long session will be recorded and available on our website to view whenever you'd like.
To Join the Webinar
Webinars are facilitated in Zoom. For help, see "Getting Started" on Zoom.com. Due to new Zoom security features, a new webinar room has been established.
You will need to contact your county coordinator for a password. Please access the webinar at https://zoom.us/. Click on "Join the meeting" and then put in the new meeting number: 926 9973 6489 and password.
All webinars are at 1 p.m. EST
- October 29 – Tree Care: Lessons after the storm with Dr. Mike Orfanedes
- November 19 – Behavior Changes in the Landscape and Storm Water Ponds with Dr. Paul Monaghan
- December 10 – Algal Blooms: what Master Gardener Volunteers need to know with Dr. Lisa Krimsky
October 29, 1 pm 2020 » Tree Care: Lessons after the storm with Dr. Mike Orfanedes, UF/IFAS Broward County
Michael Orfanedes is a commercial horticulture agent, ISA-certified arborist, and LIAF-certified landscape inspector providing educational programming for UF/IFAS Extension in Broward County. Dr. Orfanedes is responsible for coordinating educational outreach and CEU programs for Broward’s diverse nursery, landscape, and pest control industries. He has been an ISA-certified arborist for 17 years and directs the county’s tree trimmer licensing, pesticide application, and Green Industry Best Management Practices (GI-BMP) certification programs. In 2009, his extension program received the Outstanding Public Educational Program award from the Florida Urban Forestry Council (FUFC). In 2011, Mike was named FNGLA Outstanding Educator. In June of 2019 he received the Florida Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture’s Award for Excellence in Education. Mike is also a long-term ISA exam proctor and is an active member of the Landscape Inspectors Association of Florida (LIAF). Dr. Orfanedes has his B.S. degree in Agronomy, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Weed Science, all from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
September 17, 1 pm 2020 » Plant Toxicity (special webinar hosted by UF/IFAS Northwest District)
August 27, 1 pm 2020 » Florida-Friendly Landscaping™: New information on the plant list and resources with Claire Lewis
July 30, 1 pm 2020 » Brazilian Pepper Bio-control with Dr. Carey Minteer
2020 Leadership School Recordings
- Motivation — Dr. Matt Sowcik, assistant professor in the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (Presentation PDF)
- From Me to We — Dr. Laura Greenhaw, assistant professor in the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (Presentation PDF)
- Crucial Conversations — Christy Chiarelli, assistant extension scientist in the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (AEC) and director of the Wedgworth Leadership Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources (Presentation PDF)
- Leaders Listen — Wendy Wilber, Florida Master Gardener Volunteer statewide program coodinator (Presentation PDF)
June 25, 1 pm 2020 » Invasive Animals in Florida with Dr. William Kern
May 28, 1 pm 2020 » Biodiversity and Lawn Pests with Dr. Adam Dale
April 30, 1 pm 2020 » Pesticide Refresher with Dr. Brett Bultemeier
March 26 » Food Safety for Master Gardener Volunteers with Dr. Amy Simonne
February 27, 1 pm 2020 » Florida Master Gardener Volunteers Projects from Around the State
Wendy Wilber, Statewide Master Gardener Volunteer Program Coordinator
January 30, 1pm 2020 » Planting a Refuge for Wildlife
Liz Schold, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Watch a recording of this webinar
- Take the Planting a Refuge for Wildlife quiz
- More online resources from Liz Schold: