Education and Outreach
Master Gardeners participate in a number of activities, sometimes acting as teachers and other times as students.
Plant Identification and Judging Competition
Each year during the Florida Master Gardener conference, teams of Master Gardeners from different counties compete against each other in the 4-H plant identification and judging competition. The teams must successfully identify a number of different plant samples, as well judge specific plant specimens on their appearance and vigor.
The winning county receives a plaque and their county name is added to the Dean's Award plaque, which is posted in McCarty Hall.
Participants benefit from the added plant knowledge and can help prepare youth to participate in competitions that take place at the 4-H Congress and at other times throughout the state.
- Flowers and Foliage Plants List (PDF)
- Fruits and Nuts List (PDF)
- Ornamentals List (PDF)
- Vegetables List (PDF)
- Judging contest form (PDF)
Extension Specialist Updates
Each month, we highlight a UF/IFAS specialist to keep you up-to-date with the latest information and research findings. These presentations require the free Windows Media Player.
- Join Dr. William Crow for this update on nematodes in the landscape and what you can do about them.
- Dr. Michael Dukes discusses the latest irrigation technologies in "Smart Irrigation: Making Every Drop Count."
- Catalog listing of the most recent updates.
You can see all of the previously featured specialist updates here.