Sandburs, also known as sandspurs, are the dried spiky seedheads of an invasive grassy weed found through the lower half of the United States. As an annual, it dies down each year, but its seeds lie in wait. Hand-pulling adult plants before they "bloom", and a pre-emergence pesticide are the best control.
- Osceola Master Gardener FAQ: Controlling Sandburs
- Q&A: How do I get rid of sandburs in my yard?
- Sticky Sandspur
- Coast Sandspur (Field Sandbur), Cenchrus incertus Curtis
- Principles of Weed Management
- Southern Sandspur (Southern Sandbur), Cenchrus echinatus L.