Florida isn't known for its spectacular autumn leaf displays, but it does have several wonderful trees that you can plant for great fall color.
Sweetgum and red maple trees are two of the showiest trees during the fall and early winter in Florida. Both will turn a brilliant shade of yellow, orange, red, or even burgundy as the seasons change.
Our native bald cypress is another great tree to consider. Its feathery foliage turns from soft green to a deep shade of gold or bronze.
'Bradford' pear trees are also known for their bright red color, but they often suffer from broken branches and are usually short-lived.
- Florida Forest Trees: Sweetgum
- Florida Plant ID: Sweetgum
- Florida Trees for Urban and Suburban Sites
- Enjoy the Colors of Fall by Planting the Right Trees (PDF)
- Ginkgo biloba: Maidenhair Tree
- Pistacia chinensis: Chinese Pistache
- Trees for Fall Color (PDF)
- Trees That Provide Fall Color (PDF)
Also on Gardening in a Minute
- Bald Cypress
- Florida Maple
- Flowering Dogwood
- Gardening for Fall Color
- Pond Cypress
- Red Maple
- Shumard Oak