If you've been yearning for great fall color, check out our native red maple (Acer rubrum). Every fall, the leaves of these trees erupt into a blaze of yellow, orange, and red, putting on a show that lasts several weeks.
Red maples are naturally found in wet areas, but will grow in other locations if they receive adequate irrigation.
For best fall color and performance, look for an improved variety that's suited for Florida. ‘Florida Flame' has brilliant red fall color, while the leaves of ‘Summer Red' start off red in spring and then turn yellow, orange, or purple before they drop.
Come spring, your red maple tree will put on yet another show when its beautiful red flowers and fruits emerge.
- Florida Plant ID: Red Maple
- Florida Forest Trees: Red Maple, Acer rubrum
- Native in Florida: Red Maple, Acer rubrum
- Acer rubrum: Red Maple
- Red Maple Acer rubrum 'Florida Flame' Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Topic: Red Maple Varieties
Also on Gardening Solutions