Roses have long been the symbol of love, especially red roses. But there are several meanings for the many colors of roses. For example, yellow roses would be a thoughtful way to let a friend know you were thinking about them, as yellow signifies friendship.
There are almost 120 varieties of roses available, and their colors include numerous shades of red, pink, purple, orange, peach, and white.
When it comes to Valentine's Day gifts, carefully select the flower variety and color for a customized arrangement your sweetheart will treasure.
Roses aren't a gift just for women, although men's tastes are somewhat different. Research shows that men tend to prefer red and yellow roses, while women gravitate more towards pastels.
Also on Gardening in a Minute
- How to Arrange One Dozen Roses--The Art of Doing Stuff
- Rose Color Meanings--About.com
- Roses for Valentine's Day--University of Minnesota Extension
- Symbolism and Color--All-American Rose Selections
- A Valentine's Day Survival Guide--Star-Ledger (NJ)
- Video: Valentine's Day Flower Guide on Buying Roses--Answers.com