The average toad will eat 50-100 insects every night, so providing them with shelter will encourage them to hunt in your yard. Choose a cool, damp, spot in your landscape away from foot traffic, and preferably near a shallow water source. Bury a clay pot about halfway in the ground on its side, providing a cool roof and a dirt floor. Involve children in this project by having them decorate the toad house first.
Also on Gardening in a Minute
- Build a Toad Home--Minnesota 4-H (PDF)
- Frogs and Toads--Wild Florida
- The Toad Abode--Learn2grow.com
- Toad Town--Virginia Tech Department of Horticulture (PDF)
- Toadily Easy Toad Houses--DIY Life (blog)