Mulch is an attractive way to help control weeds, retain soil moisture, and moderate soil temperatures. It gives your landscape a neat, uniform appearance and is a Florida-friendly choice for hard-to-mow slopes and shady spots. Organic mulches can also help improve soil as they decompose.
Many different materials can be used for mulch. Choose environmentally friendly mulch made from melaleuca, eucalyptus, or pine straw or bark. Avoid using cypress mulch, which is often harvested from delicate wetlands.
Let fallen leaves stay under your trees to create self-mulching areas.
Cut down on mowing by replacing grass with mulch in shady areas where grass won't grow.
Apply mulch as needed to maintain a two- to three-inch layer, and pull it away from the base of plants to avoid disease.
- Alachua County Extension: Mulch
- Florida-Friendly Living: Mulch
- Living Green: Mulch
- Marion County FYN: Melaleuca Mulch
- Mulch Application Guidelines
- Overmulching Can Damage Trees
- Q&A: Is Melaleucha Mulch Safe to Use?
- The Facts About Termites and Mulch
- The Florida-Friendly Landscaping Handbook, Principle #4: Mulch (PDF)
- Landscape Mulches: How Long Do They Retain Their Color?
- Landscape Mulches: How Quickly Do They Settle?
- Landscape Mulches: What Are the Choices in Florida?
- Pests Associated with Much and Moisture
- Problems Erupt When You Volcano Mulch (PDF)
Also on Gardening in a Minute
- Alternative Mulches
- Alternatives to Turf
- Calculating Mulch
- FFL Principle #4: Mulch
- Inorganic Mulches
- Recycled Utility Mulch
- Renovating Mulched Beds
- Saving Money with Landscaping
- Mulch--Clemson (SC) Cooperative Extension
- Mulches--University of Missouri Extension
- Mulching is Important for Tree Health--Utah State University Forestry Extension
- Mulching and Watering--University of Minnesota Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series
- Mulching Landscape Plants--Ohio State University Extension
- Proper Mulching Techniques--International Society of Arboriculture
- Video: Neighbor-to-Neighbor Florida Friendly Landscaping: Mulch--YouTube